Aside from being home to more than 30 waterfalls, the municipality of Lambunao is also known for the diversity of its animals, most considered rare and endangered.
The Second-Class municipality of Lambunao is situated in central Iloilo, 48-kilometers away from Iloilo City. It is bounded in the north by the municipality of Calinog; in the east by the municipalities of Dueñas and Pototan; in the south by the municipalities of Janiuay and Badiangan; on the west by a portion of the municipality of Janiuay, Iloilo and Valderama, of Antique Province. It has a total land area of 24, 692 hectares politicalkly subdivided into 73 barangays.
Lambunao is populated by 73, 640 (2015 Census on Population) Lambunaonons. Market day is every Sunday. It annually celebrates its Religious Fiesta every 10th of September in honor of St. Nicholas of Tolentine.
One can visit Lambaunao through a van at the Ungka Transport Terminal (fronting Christ the King Memorial Park) in Barangay Ungka-II, Pavia, Iloilo.
Folk history states that Lambunao and Laglag (Duenas) belonged to one big barangay called Dalayawon that was peacefully ruled by two Datus, Tomong and Lipukan. The generation that followed broke the peace as Tumangas, the son of Tomong, and Kaputi, the son of Lipukan had tribal conflict thereby leading to the division of Dalayawon.
Tumangas and his tribe moved westward to establish an independent settlement in Balikatkaton (present site of Barangay Da-anbanwa) which was then separated from the Ulian River by a small lake. Kaputi and his tribe settled to the eastern side, which was known later as Duenas.
It was said hat when the Spanish reached Balikatkaton, they asked a native who was fishing what the name of the place was. The answer given was “Nagapanglambu sa linao” (fishing in the lake). The Spaniards shortened the native’s answer into Lambunao to call the place.
ST. NICHOLAS DE TOLENTINE PARISH CHURCH is of Baroque architectural style. The first parochial church was constructed under the supervision of Father Jose Lobo in 1875. It was said to be in poor condition since it was situated in a swampy area. It was reconstructed to its present site and was officially inaugurated in 1883. It was finished in 1886 under the supervision of Father Manuel Castandiello. It was made of stones that were quarried in Dingle. Bricks were also used. Its interior is of Tuscan order while the exterior is of Doric order. It was burned by the revolutionaries in 1900 however its walls and belfry were saved. The church was reconstructed by Father Jose Giraldez in 1909.
THE MARI-IT CONSERVATION PARK is located in Barangay Jayubo inside the campus of West Visayas State University College of Agriculture and Forestry, a scenic environment that covers 3, 478 hectares and where 1,000 hectares is intended for the Mari-it Agro-Ecotourism Project. The site is the largest Hornbill Breeding Facility in the world. In its care are two critically endangered hornbill species: Dolongan (Visayan Writhe Hornbill) and Panay Tariktik Hornbill. The conservation park also provides resources for the breeding of Native Pikoy “Dangag” (Racquet Tail Parrot) and wild boar among other endangered species. This is through a Memorandum of Agreement between the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and Mulhouse Zoo in France for the conservation of the Visayan Spotted Deer. This critically endangered species was chosen as the “flagship specie” for conservation of bio-diversity of Panay Island.
TINAGONG DAGAT located in the mountain village of Cabatangan, is a three-hectare hidden lake that measures 80 meters deep and yields freshwater eels, carps and tilapia. It springs out water to the Ulian River. The hidden lake is on a plateau and takes an exhausting 8-10 hours of trek on its treacherous, slopping trails to reach it.
LAMBUNAO CHEMICAL – FREE FARM in Barangay Pandan is three kilometres away from the poblacion. Its five-hectare area is planted with farm products and along with it is a vermin composticity facility, rain shelter and green house facilities, “Babuyang Walang Amoy” and a pavilion that could accommodate 150 persons.
Known as the Land of Waterfalls, the town has documented 40 waterfalls and still counting. They are as follows: Agli-og Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Aligura Falls in Barangay Bagongbong, Bituon Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Balagnan Falls in Sitio Pawara-Cabatangan, Baragsakan Falls in Sitio Pawara-Cabatangan, Bagakay Falls in Barangay Panuran, Bugsukan Falls in Barangay Panuran, Dalhayan Falls in Sitio Budiean-Cabatangan, Daragsaan Falls in Sitio Pawara-Cabatangan, Elenoy Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Giub Falls in Sitio Budiean-Cabatangan, Hagdanan Falls in Pawara-Cabatangan, Igbulawan Falls in Sitio Igbulawan, Igmanipis Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Inas Falls in Barangay Jayubo, Kasing-Kasing Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Lubay Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Maasin Falls in Barangay Sagcup, Mahagnop Falls in Pwara-Cabatangan, Mahangin Falls in Sitio Budiean-Cabatangan, Mahandong Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Malumot Falls in Sitio Budiean-Cabatangan.
Montillano Falls in Barangay Jayubo, Nalisong Falls in Sitio Budeian-Cabatangan, Nasor-ohon Falls in Canyon-Cabatangan, Olaw Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Naipit Falls in Pawara-Cabatangan, Pora Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Malinaw Falls in Pawara-Cabatangan, Takbangan Falls in Pawara-Cabatangan, Tayokan Falls in Pawara-Cabatangan, Tinago Falls in Pawara-Cabatangan, Regon Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Tabogan Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Turo-Turoan Falls, Uslog Falls in Barangay Cabatangan, Tabulwang Falls in Barangay Panuran and lastly, Tagbakan Falls in Sitio Tagbakan-Barangay Jayubo.
BINANOG celebrated every 2nd wek of Jannuary highlights the “binanog” dance, a courtship dance that imitates the movements of the ‘banog’ bird (hawk) commonly found in Panay farmlands.
Dressed in traditional male and female Panay Bukidnon costumes the presentation begins with a chant. Male dancers in red pants with black top with traditional red and white embroidered patterns take centerstage and dances in leaping motions to get the attention of his female counterpart.
Female dancers attract their male counterpart using their hips and graceful movements of the hands. Wearing a “pudong” or headpiece of old coins exposing her face and a “biningkit” or an adornment of old coins for the neck. In red or white top with embroidered patterns and a patadyong draped as a skirt with a piece of cloth wrap around her waist.
The harmonious pulsating movement of both male and female dancers synchronizes to the beating the gong as each dancer matches the steps of its counterpart. The dances reaches climax as the female dancer ties her male counterpart using the cloth wrapped around her waist.
INDIGENOUS PEOPLE’S WEEK in celebrated along Binanog Festival as the town gives importance to its indigenous people. It is a display of indigenous houses and the collecvtioj of their relics alongside its native food that is for sale.