The market known as the Parian de San Jose once stood on this site from 1783-1860. Established by Governor-General Jose Basco, 1738; then demolished, 1860.
This site was then occupied by the Escuela Municipal de Niñas from 1892-1899. It was renamed as the Manila Grammar School and American High School, 1899-1905, then as the Manila High School, 1906.
It was renamed again as the Manila South High School in 1921; then as the Araullo High School, 1930.
It was destroyed during the Second World War. The name reverted to Manila High School in 1958.