The Fifth-Class municipality of Mina located in the northern part of the province. It is 44 kilometers away for an hour and twenty minute ride from Iloilo City. It is bounded in the north by the municipality of Badiangan; in the east by the municipality of Pototan; west by the municipality of Janiuay; in the south by the municipality of New Lucena; and southwest by the municipality of Cabatuan. The town has a total land area of 4,340 hectares that is politically subdivided into 22 barangays.
Mina is populated by 23, 546 (2015 Census on Population) Minanhons. Market day is every Thursdays and Sundays. It annually celebrates its Religious Fiesta every 12th of October in honour of Our Lady of the Pillar.
One can get to Mina by jeepney or van at the terminal in front of Christ the King Memorial in Jaro, Iloilo City.
Before 1870, the town was known as Barrio Montogawe. The name was derived from Montogawe Hill located at the Suage River. Montogawe was a combination of two words from the Spanish monte meaning mountain and gawe, a Kiniray-a word meaning face.
A Civil Decree issued by General La Torre in 1870 lawfully created the civil town of Montogawe, after a requirement that a church, a municipal building and a school house be built. Montogawe was elevated to a parish in 1872, but no parish priest was assigned. In 1873 a dispute over the jurisdiction over Tolarucan (presently, a barangay in this municipality) was lodged by both municipalities of Pototan and Janiuay and was brought to the attention of the Bishop of Jaro. It was impressed upon the Bishop, the importance of the case to the church. The Bishop appointed ten priests to handle the case and these sought the services of a Spanish lawyer named Mina. Atty. Mina won the case and Montogawe gained jurisdiction over Tolarucan. Folk sources say that Atty. Mina refused to accept monetary renumeration. Thus, because of his gallant act, the town was named in his honor. Montogawe became Mina.
PASKWA HALAD SA BANWA is celebrated withy the opening of Christmas lights at the municipal grounds every 2nd week of December. The spirit to serve the community is a core value of the local government of this town which gives all the opportunity to give back to the community through this event which started in 2011. However, in 1994-2010 the town had been celebrating Christmas with series of activities that include street dancing, ceremonial lighting, fireworks display and food fair.