Measuring around 900 square meters, the map of Mindanao still carries the names of places as they were called in the past.
This was made between August and September of 1892 by Philippine national hero Dr. Jose Rizal with the help of Fr. Francisco Paula de Sanches based on the scientific map of Maurillo Velarde, a French Jesuit.
The map serves as a “motivating device” by Rizal for his students in his History and Geography classes. He used rattan strings for the measurements of the latitude and longitude of the map, and seashells as the marker. The fence was built by the Americans in the 1920s.