This Fourth Class municipality is located in the northeastern portion of Iloilo, the municipality of Zarraga is 16 kilometers away from Iloilo City. Zarraga is at a converging point for the two national highways: the main roads of Central Panay, including the provinces of Aklan and Capiz; and the northern towns of Iloilo Provinces. It has a total land area of 8, 253 hectares and is politically subdivided into 24 barangays.
Zarraga is populated by 25,605 Zarraganhons. Market day is every Sunday. It annually celebrates its Religious Fiesta every 15th of May in honor of St. Isidro Labrador.
To get to Zarraga, one can take a jeepney at Jaro Plaza or at the new Ceres Terminal in Barangay Camalig, Jaro, Iloilo City.
Zarraga was once a nameless jungle outback with an abundance of giant trees. It was in 1853 when the town was established and was named after Pedro Zarraga, then Alcalde Mayor of Iloilo whoserved eight years until his death in August 26, 1882. In the early part of 1904, Zarraga became an arrabal of Sta. Barbara and remained as such until 1940. It again became as an independent municipality by virtue of Executive Order No. 295, issued by former President Manuel L. Quezon.
PANTAT is celebrated every last week of December. It celebrates and aims to promote pantat (catfish) production in the the municipality. Started in 2003, a small group of individuals discussed the possibility of establishing a local event to promote their local produce, pantat. Considered as a delicacy, the people of Zarraga prepare pantat grilled as a barbecue that is a common sight as one enters the town.